Skip to main content

I'm 10 years old this week

In case you haven't noticed, I have spent a lot of time at the fair this week. Several other Bryan Times employees and I have been there taking pictures, getting results and writing stories. Of course, you've seen the bounty of our work by now.

A lot of people I see at the fair ask me if I enjoy doing the coverage all week. The answer is always yes.

I may be exhausted and suffering from the side effects of inhaling dust and dirt all weekend, but I am still having so much fun at the fair. The entire week is honestly like Christmas to me, and I don't know if I have missed a fair ever in my life. Each year I look forward to it with anticipation of all the people I will see and all the memories I will take home.

It's not really the milkshakes or the entertainment or even the livestock that make the week special. It's the feeling of being 10 years old again. You know, that feeling where the world is simple and all you need is cotton candy to be happy for the rest of your life.

That 10-year-old in me comes out at different times throughout the fair. The other day for example, a first-year exhibitor in one of the shows I covered was the only one in his class. He took home first place, along with a trophy and several ribbons. When we took the winners photo, he was the first one in the picture area, poised and proud to have done so well with his project.

"Look at all the stuff I won!" he told me. I congratulated him and couldn't help but grin as my heart melted. That 10-year-old in me knew exactly how he felt.

I was an 11-year member of 4-H and showed goats, pigs and even a hamster once at the fair. In my first years, I hardly knew what was going on in the show arena. My dad would hand me whichever animal I was supposed to take, and I followed the other kids into the ring. If I got a blue ribbon in the end, I was so happy. If I got a big ribbon, I was ecstatic, and if I got a trophy...watch out world, I was having the best day of my life!

So even though I'm tired, and all I really want to do is crawl in bed and let my sinuses rest, I keep heading back to the fairgrounds. Not just because it's my job, but because I love that feeling of being 10 years old again. And of course, I want all the 10-year-olds of today to get their smiling faces in the paper all week. After all, it could be the best week of their life!

Comments

  1. Hope you find all those 10 year olds at the fair. Everyone needs those good memories of childhood. Another good blog Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom forwarded me this page on your blog. She said it reminded her of me and she is so right. My best friend Joni and I feel the same way about the fair that you do. The excitement builds all year long until September comes. The fair is one of my best childhood memories and I'm glad you feel the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff again, Tami. You're a talented writer.
    You took me back. Makes me miss home. I havn't been to the Williams County Fair for years. But you managed to bring me back. I can hear the sheep getting sheared; the goats belting; the lady's CONSTANT VOICE on the PA making announcements; the "live" goldfish waiting for an ace pingball thrower; and the creepy man always running the balloon/dart game with the ever glorious beer mirrors.
    Thanks for bringing me back. Enjoy your blogs. (Oh---and don't forget about those milkshakes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Scooter, if you come next year I'll buy you a milkshake. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…