Skip to main content

Expect the unexpected

Today is day four of owning our own home, and it's been one exciting, crazy, stressful, scary, joyous adventure.

We have successfully moved into our new place, and boy, it wasn't easy. Nothing really went as planned.

Then again, when does anything go as planned?

It started Saturday morning with moving. I figured I'd have time to box up a few more things while my moving crew (aka our awesome friends and family) got started with loading and unloading the boxes I already had packed.

Never mind that idea. They were so great, I couldn't keep up. I had to call back reinforcements to box up my kitchen while I worked on the bedroom. That worked for a while, and I figured I'd bring over lunch and refreshments (aka pizza and beer) and see look at their progress.

Bad timing. I got to the house just in time to learn our mattress barely fit through the stairs, and the box spring was gonna have to go through a window.

Up goes the blood pressure.

Now, we are fully insured, so we were covered. And I stayed inside so I didn't have to witness the box spring heading over my porch roof. (I could see, however, my mother and others watching in terror as it was hauled up. Way to calm my nerves, mom.)

And then? It didn't fit!

Apparently the one window they didn't measure upstairs is the one they tried to shove the box spring through. Oh boy. Thankfully, they got it in on the second attempt. And I didn't watch it then, either.

We stayed the night Saturday (you know, since they worked so hard getting our bed moved), but we weren't out of the apartment yet. Our water heater needed repairs, so we took our towels and soap back to our former home the next morning.

Thankfully, my dad was able to fix the water heater Sunday afternoon. Yay for hot showers! Kyle decided to test it out before he went to bed, and I decided to call it a night.

The next thing I know, Kyle is yelling for me to help him downstairs. Yes, the hot water is working, but apparently the faucet handle broke and the water wouldn't shut off!

Oh good grief! After getting out the pliers and screw driver, we realized we'd have to remove the access panel for the plumbing and turn the valves off.

So this morning, when I needed a shower, I had to turn on the valves, run back to the bathroom and hop in. Only this time? The water was too hot!

Don't worry, Kyle has already found a new faucet and dad should be over soon to fix it all. Until then, I'm going to try not to break anything else.

I feel like nothing is going as planned, but at the same time, nothing could make me happier.

Comments

  1. PLAN B often becomes plan C or D or WYZ. happens to be what I am blogging about on Tuesday post. ha.
    Welcome to home ownership! sure glad to have you in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Snippets from the Second Trimester

It's a Boy! 
We've been girl parents for five years, so it took some time to get used to the idea of having a boy. The first thing we did was pick a name - we'd already settled on a girl's name, but were still throwing around ideas for a boy when we went to the ultrasound.

Once we knew it, we KNEW it. His name will be Archer Wilden. Yes, you can feel free to call him Archie. And Wilden is a combination of William and Dennis - our dads' names. <3


VBAC
My goal for this delivery is to have what's called a VBAC - vaginal birth after a cesarean. With Kenlee, I NEEDED a c-section because my induction failed. I was trying to avoid an induction because I knew the increased changes of a c-section, but my blood pressure was sky high a few days before my due date, and my options were:
Induce labor so we can try to get the baby out ... even though I wasn't the best candidate for an induction at that timeRisk having a stroke from the high blood pressure ... and of cour…