Skip to main content

My heart is torn

We're zeroing in on one year.

Yeah. I know.

Every time I think about it, I want to break down in tears - partly because "Oh my goodness where did my baby go?!" and partly because "Thank goodness I can't believe we made it this far!"

Tonight? Tonight I'm leaning toward the sad tears.

Because my baby didn't let me put her to sleep. 

Our bedtime routine has always been precious to me. In a normal week, I only get to do our "nigh nights" twice, so I love the time for us to cuddle, rock, relax and nurse.


The first of many photos I took on my phone while Kenlee slept in my arms.
Ever since Kenlee was born I've been able to nurse her to sleep. Our first night in the hospital she nursed to sleep, and I stayed up for a good hour in the dark watching her relaxed in my arms. She was just content and comforted by her momma.

And with the exception of some cranky nights and growth spurts, our nighttime nursing sessions have always knocked her right out. Even when she finally unlatches, I love to watch her little lips suck at the air as she dream nurses some more.

But tonight was different. We had our normal routine of bath, jammies and kisses from daddy. Then she nursed and cuddled with me in the rocking chair.

But then she was done. She wanted up. She didn't want me anymore.

I could tell she was frustrated as she thrashed with her eyes closed. So I scooped her up and laid her in her crib where she promptly rolled over and fell fast asleep. She didn't need her momma. She just wanted her own bed.

I guess it's only natural. And I know I should be glad she's learned to self soothe. But it's just tearing me up inside a little bit knowing my baby's getting bigger and more independent.

Some days I find myself counting down til the end our breast-feeding, longing for freedom from my pump and my baby's routine.

But other days, like today, I find myself longing for that first night in the hospital, needing nothing but each other.


Comments

  1. I can't believe it has been nearly a year for you already. I think you have done a wonderful job as a new mommy. I am always thankful that you are one step ahead of me and give advice. I know exactly what you mean by just watching them. I often put Ace up on my shoulder once he is done nursing and just pat his back slightly while he falls back to sleep, sometimes I find myself sitting there for a while and then think "oh I should put him back in his crib and go back to sleep" ha. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thanks Kim! And yes, I've probably lost a lot of good sleep hours just snuggling when I should have put her down and went to sleep. Nothing wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…