Skip to main content

Breastfeeding:Telling my story in support

It's been more than 14 months since I started the most amazing journey of my life: Breastfeeding.

The journey has been frustrating, time-consuming, stressful and — sometimes — downright annoying.

But it's also been relaxing, comforting, rewarding and — overall — amazing.

I share this with you not to brag or push my choice on others to to make non-nursing mothers feel inferior. That is NEVER something I would do. Honestly, I share this to show other mothers that they are not alone, or weird, or some kind of freak. In honor of World Breastfeeding Week, I simply want to offer my support and my story.

Often times, society writes off breastfeeding as abnormal, weird or sexual. Breastfeeding mothers get told to give up, cover up or shut up far too often.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I didn't give up, I only cover up if I want to, and I'm obviously not shutting up about anything. (Good luck with that last one especially.)

So no, I'm not writing to push a decision on anyone. I'm writing because the support for breastfeeding in America is far too little. So many women struggle quietly each day and don't know where they can turn. So many women have had amazing experiences but are too embarrassed or ashamed to step up and let others know that they're proud of what they've accomplished. So many of us just lack basic support and education about something that can be potentially life saving.

In the early days of breastfeeding Kenlee, I found support in many forms. The first, and most important, was from my spouse. Kyle helped me in any way he could, short of finding a way to nurse for me. He would bring me water, snacks and whatever else I needed while I sat through those long early feedings. He researched potential solutions to thrush, oversupply and biting. And he cleaned pump parts, prepared bottles and just cheered me on every step of the way.

I also found support through lactation consultants. A wonderful woman at the local health department talked me through a very trying time. And nurses at the hospital answered the help line at all times of the day and night when I needed advice. These women are the front line for breastfeeding in the medical profession. Sadly, many doctors and nurses are not educated about breastfeeding and will often give misleading advice. I almost fell victim to this several times, and I'm glad I had the right people in my corner to steer me back on track.

I also found support online, with resources and support groups and all the information in the world. Kelly Mom became pretty much my breastfeeding Bible. Twitter chats such as #bfcafe were perfect for when I had a random question I didn't have time to make a phone call for. And a few moms from a chat board became close enough to message back and forth — just to know that someone else was having the same experiences and we were not alone.

I guess that's the main point of this post — to let breastfeeding mothers everywhere know that you are never alone. It may seem like no one has been through the same things or struggled to find the answers or just wanted to give in and give up on their goals. But we're HERE and we've been in your shoes. We may not live next door, or have your number, or be able to come over and fix your latch. But you can find us out there: at meetings, online or maybe even at work.
I've made it 14 months and counting, with no definite end in sight. My story may not be over, but I think by sharing it I'm making a stand for  breastfeeding mothers (and babies) everywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…