Skip to main content

Training: Week 9

Me and my new friend Sally the CamelBak
I'm going to sound so annoyingly perky with this post. But seriously, this week was probably the best so far in my half marathon training, and there's just so much to write about.
Let's start with my obsession with water. I think I've finally found my ideal solution for hydration on long runs. After trying out two different hydration belts, I wasn't quite satisfied. The bouncing still bothered me, and I felt like I had to constantly adjust the belt to stay in place on my hips. Plus, I kind of felt like the 20 oz. limitation was going to be tough as my runs got longer.

My teammates seemed extremely satisfied with their CamelBaks on our long runs, so I started researching their products. Kyle also thought he could use a hydration option for runs and long bike rides, so together we selected and ordered the CamelBak Dart online. With a sale and free shipping, I was super pumped to try it out just two days later.

And? I think this is finally the solution I've been looking for. I named my pack Sally, as in Sally the Camel, and she's proven to be a great investment. The pack is barely noticeable as I run, with less bounce than the belts for sure. I LOVE the extra pockets on this model, with plenty of space to hold my iPhone (with case), and the new Gu packs I am trying out (more on these in a sec). I could even fit my keys or a small poncho inside if needed.

Sally also makes it easy to take in water WHILE I'm running, instead of being forced to walk when I'm thirsty. And, the valve doesn't let me gulp down too much water at once. I did that a lot with the water bottles on the belts, and my stomach paid for it.

The other new product I tried out was the Gu Energy Gel packs that I bought last week at a running store.

Hey look! Running is about more than the accessories!
You know ... I should probably make a disclaimer I am not a paid reviewer for any of the products I write about. None of the companies have contacted me in any way. I just want to share my trials with you all to document what I experience as a rookie runner. Hopefully, it can help someone else who's interested in the same things.

Anyway, right after I bought my Gu to slurp, one of my favorite blogs, Another Mother Runner, had a really informative post about how to use the packs. It was great timing, and I used their advice and tried them out on my 5 mile runs and my 8 miler Saturday. I have to say, I think I'm hooked. My favorite flavor so far is Espresso Love, which was perfect on my early morning run Thursday. Its extra jolt of caffeine was just what I needed.

The price and local availability of Gu is the only downside. (My Gatorade chews are cheaper and sold locally). But if I can find a good deal online, I'll probably buy more Gu packs for the future.

Providence Dam, near the start of the Towpath Trail
So besides spending lots of money last week, I swear I really did run, too! I had the best run of my life so far on Tuesday with Kenlee. It was so inspiring that I wrote an entire column about it for Monday's Bryan Times. It resulted in a PR for 5 miles, despite the extra weight of the stroller, and I pushed myself to ANOTHER PR on Thursday's run.

Saturday morning, I wasn't feeling the best thanks to some poor/fun decisions Friday night. Thankfully, we had a Team Shenanigans run at Providence Metropark in Grand Rapids, Ohio, so Jan and Danielle once again pushed me through the miles. My new best friend Sally helped keep my headache away with plenty of water, and I didn't start swearing off Michelob Ultra until mile 7 or so.

We all agreed, the Towpath Trail was amazing, and we hope to schedule another training run there again. We loved the shade, the scenery and the change in running surface. Kyle also enjoyed the trail Saturday, pedaling 20 miles on his bike while we ran. I am so impressed and proud of him!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…