Skip to main content

Training: Week 14

So much happened this week, I'm not sure where to start.

First, my ankle feels much better. It's stiff first thing in the morning when I walk down the stairs, but otherwise hasn't bothered me. I stayed off it Saturday and Sunday last week, and I just resumed the training schedule Monday. It wasn't awful, but I could tell I recovering instead of progressing.

All week I debated what I should do about my long run. Should I try for the 12 miles or cut it back to 10? Maybe do the 11 I missed? Should I try to schedule it with my team or just get it done early? Run near home or return to Oak Openings? (If you haven't noticed, I tend to overthink things.)

Anyway, I decided I needed to do all 12 miles as originally planned. Due to potential conflicts, I decided to go Friday, and because Kyle was willing to go with me, I headed back to Oak Openings to conquer the trails. If anything, I wanted to experience the gorgeous scenery again.



The first half of the run was decent, and I kept a good pace. But I struggled to make it through the second half. Like, really struggled. I think part of it was running most of my route on the Rails to Trails path. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice paved trail and I wish we lived closer to it. However, straight and flat also meant straight and boring. With no running partners to distract me, I was wavering in my resolve to finish.

Just before mile 10, I took a walk break for some Gu and water. Then I saw Kyle and Kenlee coming up behind me on the bike so I waited to chat. I'm so glad I saw them because I needed motivation to finish. But when they took off I realized the only way I could back was to run. So I did. Those last two miles were slow and grueling, but I never stopped.

At mile 11, I was nearly walking, but I kept trotting along. "You did not work the last 14 weeks to stop now," I told myself. And then Katy Perry's "Roar" started to play in my headphones, and I turned it up to blast out my doubts. Unfortunately, I turned it up too loudly because I thought I heard my Runtastic app telling me I hit 12 miles, but really I stopped at 11.97. Normally the perfectionist in me would have trotted along the extra .03 to finish, but my legs were just done. Close enough, I decided. I walked the rest of the way to the car and thanked my lucky stars that I made it through injury-free this week.



Today (Saturday), I tried something completely out of my comfort zone. You see, a while ago I realized that I had run at least one race a month since April, and I wanted to keep that streak going as long as possible. September was tripping me up, however. I searched for some local 5Ks, thought about coughing up the cash for a zombie run, and discussed the possibility of a 10K in Fort Wayne.

Then one day last week, the Williams County YMCA posted on Facebook that they were looking for volunteers at their triathlon. Perfect! Maybe I won't run a September race, but I'll still "participate" in one, right? Despite my initial nerves over not knowing anyone there, the experience was great. The coordinator, Heather, asked me to take pictures throughout the event and catch everyone crossing the finish line.

Hiding behind a camera helped me with my social awkwardness (kind of) and also gave me an up close look at how a triathlon works. Let me tell you, all the athletes were amazing and inspiring. Swim, bike, run and keep a smile on your face when it's over? Yeah, I suddenly felt like my 12 mile training run was nothing. Kyle and I had talked about creating a team to compete in the race a few months ago, but we didn't know anyone who would want to do the swimming portion.

Well, after witnessing the race up close, I decided I want to try the whole thing someday. Swimming lessons can help me with my doggy paddle, and Kyle can surely push me to a faster pace on the bike. Triathlon has definitely been added to my racing bucket list.

But FIRST, I have to focus on my half marathon. With just two weeks (!!!) to race day, the nerves are setting in. A million questions are jumping through my mind every day. What should I wear? What should I eat? Will I really feel better after a two-week taper? Did I train hard enough? Did I run far enough?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

P.S. Like the new look? I played around with some design things in blogger, and I think I like the result. If you're viewing this on The Bryan Times website, click through to talesoftami.blogspot.com to view the blog in full.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Snippets from the Second Trimester

It's a Boy! 
We've been girl parents for five years, so it took some time to get used to the idea of having a boy. The first thing we did was pick a name - we'd already settled on a girl's name, but were still throwing around ideas for a boy when we went to the ultrasound.

Once we knew it, we KNEW it. His name will be Archer Wilden. Yes, you can feel free to call him Archie. And Wilden is a combination of William and Dennis - our dads' names. <3


VBAC
My goal for this delivery is to have what's called a VBAC - vaginal birth after a cesarean. With Kenlee, I NEEDED a c-section because my induction failed. I was trying to avoid an induction because I knew the increased changes of a c-section, but my blood pressure was sky high a few days before my due date, and my options were:
Induce labor so we can try to get the baby out ... even though I wasn't the best candidate for an induction at that timeRisk having a stroke from the high blood pressure ... and of cour…