Skip to main content

Eight things about today's 8-miler

Even in the cold, I sweat like a beast!
1. I was feeling the winter blahs this morning, which almost kept me home. But I had better sense and realized that I NEEDED a good long run to push those blahs away. Sometimes a good sweat is the only cure for me.
2. It was FREEZING outside (literally), but it didn't bother me much during my run. But afterward, when it took a hot shower and an hour under the blankets with a hood over my head to warm up, I realized just how cold 25 degrees really feels.

3. Due to No. 2, my iPhone just up and quit in the middle of my run. I pulled it out of my Camelbak pouch to change podcasts, and it just shut down. I was around mile 4, so that meant the last 4 miles were sans GPS and music.

4. I was dreading the idea of running "naked" but it wasn't all that bad. I used the time to sort of think through a few things and commune with nature... sort of. I think I still prefer some noise in my earbuds to keep me going. Does anyone know of any good jackets or sweatshirts equipped with zipper pockets to keep your phone warm?

5. Today was the first time I have needed to take my pepper spray out of my front pocket, and I even had my finger on the trigger. Two dogs from a farm saw me coming, and one was barking pretty ferociously. I moved to the other side of the road, to give him some room in his territory, but he followed me and started growling at my heels. I yelled "no dog!" and kept my eyes forward. Thankfully, they finally left me alone.

6. Even though it's cold outside, I did well keeping myself just as hydrated as I would on a summer run. Since the temps can freeze my water in the Camelbak straw, I made a conscious effort to drink every mile and keep things flowing. I actually drained the whole pouch by the end - that's 50 ounces!

7. I decided that of all things Mother Nature can use to slow me down, wind is by far my worst enemy. Rain? I can run wet. Snow? It's actually pretty. Cold? Add more layers. But wind? Running into wind makes me feel like I'm a snail running through a tub of molasses. Ugh.

8. Part of my motivation for running today may have been the bag of buffalo Pretzel Crisps and tub of Sabra hummus I bought last night ... and then proceeded to mow down. Yup, two sittings and 24 hours later, it's all gone. Hey, we all have our weaknesses, right? At least I burned off some of the calories before I finished inhaling them all.

P.S. or No. 9: Today's run was day 10 of my running streak. So far, so good! I had a close call Thursday with some scheduling conflicts, but I ticked off a single mile run at 10:30 p.m. when I finally got home for the day. And I want to say thank you to my friend Chelsea for keeping me on track. We've been messaging our miles every day for accountability, and it has been really motivating!


Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 

Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?

Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…