Skip to main content

The work is what matters

It’s hard to believe that in less than three weeks I will have a SECOND half marathon under my belt. Yeah, I’m still letting that sink in.

I haven’t written about my training much this time around, mostly because I wasn’t sure if people wanted to hear more of the same. Or really, I wasn’t sure if it was nearly as interesting this time.

While I have been a lot faster and stronger this cycle, I think training has lost a little bit of its sparkle. Don’t get me wrong – I still love running! But with my first training plan, every long run was my longest ever. Every piece of gear I bought was new and fascinating. Every trail was new territory. EVERYTHING WAS AWESOME!

Feeling STRONG after an 11-miler
This time, things are more familiar and less fascinating. Before I started officially “training” for this race, I had moved beyond the apprehension and intimidation of signing up. I knew I could do it because I had already done it once before. Plus, training through the WORST. WINTER. EVER. presented more challenges than excitement. (Everyone was sick of the snow, so who really wanted to read a blog about running in it? Not me.)

But despite the cold, dark mornings and the frigid, lonely weekend runs, I survived. I’m actually starting to look forward to race day instead of merely praying it would come and release me from the obligation of getting up at 4 a.m.  – or earlier – two or three times a week. (Who am I kidding ... I'll probably still get up for workouts after the race.)

Mentally, I’m trying to keep my expectations low. I know a faster time is possible, if not probable, but I don’t want to set a time goal and disappoint myself. My only objective is to finish STRONG. In Cleveland, the wheels fell off the bus after mile 10, and I did more walking than running in the last stretch of the course (I blame the damn hills). This time, I want to run strong and steady the entire way through. I want to focus on my form and my body, and I want to finish knowing I gave my best effort. (BONUS: It's a flat course, so hills won't be an issue.)

I love this little guy!
At my Weight Watchers meeting Friday, I got a charm for completing a four-week activity challenge. My goal was to get in all my training runs – no skipping or cutting. I didn’t care if I went fast or slow, or if I had to rearrange my schedule to fit them all in. What mattered to me was sticking to the plan and truly preparing my body for another race.

Everyone at our meeting had a different goal, and I was happy to see other members reach their milestones. Running, walking, biking, lifting – whatever it was, we all set a goal and found a way to get there. I think that’s the beauty to be found in any fitness plan. Sometimes we focus too much on the goal, or the end result, because that's ultimately what we want to achieve. But the WORK, the sacrifice, the time between the start and finish – THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.

When we challenge ourselves and push ourselves to change, that's where the magic happens.

So all goals aside, it won't matter what happens when I cross the finish line in Toledo. The 12 weeks prior to that will be what prepared me and pushed me to new limits. Despite all the scheduling conflicts, the relentless weather and my general lack of sparkle, I will have made it to the starting line feeling strong and ready. And that's really all I can ask for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…