BlogBlogs

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Recent runs, in a nutshell (with bonus selfies!)

So without a race in the near future, I've sort of been in limbo with my running. I'm not following a training plan, so I'm basically running to stay fit and feel good. I do what feels right, and so far, that's been working for me. Here's my recent runs, in a nutshell: 

• I still prefer to run in the mornings, so I get out pretty much every morning that Kyle isn’t working. (I’m guessing CPS would look down on me if I left a toddler alone in the house.) Yes, this means I still get up at 4 a.m. a few days a week … even though I don’t have to. I’m crazy, I know. Because I’m getting my butt up before the sun, I try to get the most out of my time, logging 5-6 miles.

Sunrise: Perk of running in the mornings!

• With the power of the Internet, I managed to find a new BRF (that’s Best Running Friend for those of you who don’t speak Mother Runner). Kim and I have so much in common it’s awesome (and borderline creepy LOL). We’re both alums of the same college, have the same degree, took similar career paths and our toddlers are close in age. Oh yeah, and she also lost more than 100 pounds and runs half marathons (and marathons!) like a badass. Add in a matching pace and similar desire to sweat before dawn, and you’ve got the makings of a perfect running buddy.

We meet up at a Fort Wayne park and run 5 or 6 miles, then I head to the fitness center at work to shower and eat breakfast before heading inside the office. This requires some packing/planning on my part, but the miles fly by when I’m not alone, and Kim’s presences keeps me accountable. I’m so glad we found each other, and I’m looking forward to many more miles with her – as long as she puts up with me!

God bless the Internet for sending me a running buddy.

• To get in some extra mileage (and sometimes to escape my desk), I usually do at least one lunch run (or runch) per week. Normally, I run about 3 miles on the nearby trails. I’m not a huge fan of running midday in the heat, nor am I keen on baby wipe baths, but it’s a nice way to change things up.

Kyle says I look like my brother in this picture. Unfortunately, I agree with him. 

• I’m finally getting serious about cross training (read: strength training or doing any other form of exercise besides to avoid injury). I was doing some basic body-weight circuits on my own for a few weeks, but now Kim’s helping me take it a step further. As a certified trainer, she teaches a boot camp class, and I’ll be able to go one morning a week for the next six weeks. I’m still sore from the first day, but I know it will get better. Besides, we have our Warrior Dash in September, and I’ll need all the strength I can get!
Sweaty + Strong!

• I didn’t do a long run (more than an hour) for six weeks after the Glass City Half. While it was nice to take a break from the pressure of training and needing to fit in the miles, I also missed the freedom and sense of accomplishment that only a long run could bring me. When our schedule finally allowed, I took off on a warm Sunday afternoon – and didn’t look back for 8 whole miles.


Sally the Camelbak, oh how I missed you!

• One of the reasons I took a break from long runs is because I didn’t want to burden our parents with watching Kenlee when Kyle works on weekends. They always say yes, but I want to save those grandparent days for my “real” training, if you know what I mean. Last Saturday, with the weather cooperating and Kenlee in a good mood, I just decided she was coming with me! I’d never run more than 5 miles with the stroller, but I thought I’d try it out. I figured we’d just come home if she got too whiney. Much to my surprise, she did a GREAT job and was happy to be out with me for 8 miles. I’m not sure how often we’ll do this, but it’s nice to know the option’s there.

She'll always be my first BRF.

3 comments:

  1. How did you find your BRF? I would love to find someone to commiserate with but don't know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Kim on Twitter a few years back and sort of stalked her for a while. Ha! If that doesn't work, try joining up a group run in your area (if a running store offers one) or look and see if your area has a Moms Run This Town chapter. Kim runs the FB page for the Fort Wayne chapter, so we have found lots of other mother runners there as well.

      Delete
  2. You are far too sweet! I think it might be how long you put up with me :)

    I am amazed and inspired that you pushed Kenlee for 8 miles. I am not sure if I have the patience for that. I bow.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me.