Skip to main content

What we're eating: Better (for you) burgers

Let's be real. There's nothing like a burger. A real, beefy, smothered-in-cheese burger. With fries, of course.

That said, one delicious, restaurant-style meal can wipe out all of my weekly and activity points in one fell swoop. While I don't mind indulging in some cooked cow occasionally, I've accepted that beef burgers aren't the healthiest choice on a regular basis.

In order to fully enjoy grill season but maintain our healthy lifestyle, we've found a few alternatives we enjoy:

  • Jennie-O Turkey Burgers: 4 points each. Kyle will tell you these aren't the same as beef (duh!) but they are still really tasty. We recently tried the seasoned patties in the frozen section (instead of the fresh ones in the meat case), and loved them! BONUS: If you can find the turkey brats, they are to die for! Unfortunately, the store I normally shop at doesn't carry them anymore. 
  • Gardein Veggie Burgers: 3 points each. I've tried several other veggie burger brands in the past and wasn't impressed. But a coworker told me about these burgers, and they are waaaay better than any I've tasted! The only downside is their price, so I'll have to wait until they are BOGO to restock. 
Pictured: Gardein burger wrapped in lettuce, Bush's veggie beans, Suddenly Salad and hungry toddler. 
  • No bun (for smaller buns): Zero points! It wasn't until recently that I made the switch to bunless burgers. Truthfully, it's kind of a pain to carefully peel and arrange lettuce in a good wrap so my toppings don't slop on the table. BUT I'm getting better at it, and I don't miss bread because it didn't really add flavor to my burger anyway. 
  • Bush's Fat Free Vegetarian Baked Beans: 3 points for 1/2 cup. YUM! I heard about these beans at a Weight Watchers meeting when I first started, and I don't think I've bought regular beans since. I've even served them at cookouts and no one seems to notice a difference. The real difference is points - regular baked beans are 5 points per serving. 
  • Suddenly Salad: 5 points for 3/4 cup. This isn't the healthiest of all the options I've discovered, but I love a good pasta salad. We make ours with light Miracle Whip instead of mayo, and I've been known to add fresh tomatoes or extra onion during garden season. 
  • Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Fries: 4 points for 1 cup. We've searched high and low for the perfect sweet potato fries ... and these are it! My toddler gobbles them up, and they taste great dipped in ketchup or our homemade ranch dressing
  • Sweet corn: 2 points per cob. Sweet corn is a delicious treat that I sometimes forget when I'm planning summer side dishes. We normally boil ours, but it's also great on the grill or baked in the husks. Don't forget to add points for any butter or margarine. 


Comments

  1. Yum! I need to look for those beans!

    I definitely go the bunless route (and not just because of the wheat) because what I want is the meat and cheese - not a chunk of bread. I'd be in heaven if McD had a Big Mac salad.

    I think it helps to cut back on the condiments, too, though it's hard to part with my beloved mayo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

It's Time to Do SOMETHING

Listen, I'm going to get political for a minute. If you don't like it, now's your time to run. Actually, now's your time to buck up and read this because you can't keep running from our country's problems just because you don't like conflict.

This week, after watching the horrific news of yet another mass shooting in our country, I was FED UP. I was no longer shocked by the news, I was just appalled - I couldn't believe we had let this happen again. Yes, WE. You and me. We did this.

Because by standing back and doing nothing about gun violence in America, we definitely aren't solving the problem. By ignoring the tough conversations with our family, friends and government officials, we are contributing to the deaths of more and more innocent people.

Personally, I'm DONE.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know I'm tired of watching the news and thinking I can't do anything about it. I have a voice. And I am choosing to use it …