Reasons the Montpelier Firefighters Association Bean Days 5K was awesome:
- We raced as a family – I pushed Kenlee in the stroller while Kyle ran solo
- We both set PRs – My first-ever stroller race came in at 25:48 (non-stroller PR is 25:30), and Kyle blew away his goal of "just finishing" with a 30:57! The great weather and flat course were very helpful.
- It was super affordable – $12 per person for pre-registration; $15 for day-of registration
- It was well organized – Packets with nice bibs and chip timers were ready for us that morning
- The snacks were amazing – Cookies and "Jump Start" bars from Cookies on Demand, plus bananas, water, Gatorade and some other goodies. (But seriously, the COOKIES ARE THE BEST!)
- The volunteers were encouraging – Kyle and I both noticed how the people on the course were friendly and cheered us on as we went by (OK, maybe it's because we knew a few of them ... perks of being in a small town!)
- The post-race activities (Bean Days/Balloon Festival) were a great way to continue the fun. We enjoyed the Rotary pancake breakfast before heading to the fairgrounds for the Balloon Festival. Kenlee loved the FREE bounce house, slide, petting zoo and pony rides. Then she got her face painted for only $3. All this stuff was part of the Balloon Festival, but the balloons weren't up for the morning due to weather. We still had a BLAST, and we figure we can catch the balloons next year.
Bottom line: This little race is quite the gem in northwest Ohio. The coinciding activities for Kenlee put the cherry on top of an already awesome morning, but even without the Balloon Festival this is a must-run for locals.