Skip to main content

What we're eating: Zucchini lasagna


Every now and then, I surprise myself. As I've stated before, I'm NOT a regular chef in our house. Most of the meals I make come from the Crock-pot (translation: they don't require much effort). Kyle is definitely the master of the kitchen. 

But last week, my neighbor Matt brought over some zucchini and asked if we wanted some. I instantly said yes because I have been dying to try using zucchini as a substitute for pasta, something I've seen all over Pinterest lately. Veggies = zero points, so it was worth a shot!
Since I DON'T have one of those contraptions that makes spaghetti noodles (not yet at least), I decided to try making lasagna. Now, lasagna isn't easy (with or without noodles) so in my normal fashion, I took a combination of several recipes to create one I thought I could handle. 

The result? A HOMERUN! Kyle, Kenlee and I agreed this was a delicious meal! (OK, Kenlee ate more cheese and turkey than zucchini, but she still cleaned her plate pretty well.) I can't believe I nailed this recipe on the FIRST TRY! 

Zucchini Lasagna | 7 points per serving
  • 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
  • 20-oz. package of Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey, browned
  • 24-oz. jar of Prego Heart Smart traditional Italian sauce
  • 1/4 cup Egg Beaters or egg substitute
  • 15-oz. container of part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 package of fresh, steak-cut mushrooms
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil

1. Cut your zucchini into long, thin slices. (These are your replacement for lasagna noodles. I used two layers, so I had 10 or 12 good-sized slices, plus some smaller ones to fill in.) Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 5 minutes each side, or until soft. 

2. Make your sauce mixture. When I make spaghetti, I like to sauté mushrooms and onions with a little olive oil, so I did the same with this recipe. Drain the veggies when they're cooked, then mix them in a bowl with the jar of sauce and your browned turkey burger. I also like to add a bit of Italian seasoning and garlic salt for extra flavor. 

3. Make your cheese mixture. Mix the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg substitute in a bowl. Resist licking the spoon ... 

4. Start layering! I sprayed the pan with vegetable oil, then put down a little bit of the sauce mixture first. Next I laid out a layer of zucchini, then cheese mixture, then sauce mixture. Second layer: more zucchini, cheese and sauce.

5. Top with mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the mozzarella is nice and brown. Mine was slightly runny, but it set up after a while. 

6. ENJOY! I cut my 13x9 pan into eight portions, and I calculated just SEVEN points per serving! With one piece of Lite Texas Toast (three points) and a healthy serving of broccoli (zero points), our entire meal was only 10 points. Woohoo! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Snippets from the Second Trimester

It's a Boy! 
We've been girl parents for five years, so it took some time to get used to the idea of having a boy. The first thing we did was pick a name - we'd already settled on a girl's name, but were still throwing around ideas for a boy when we went to the ultrasound.

Once we knew it, we KNEW it. His name will be Archer Wilden. Yes, you can feel free to call him Archie. And Wilden is a combination of William and Dennis - our dads' names. <3


VBAC
My goal for this delivery is to have what's called a VBAC - vaginal birth after a cesarean. With Kenlee, I NEEDED a c-section because my induction failed. I was trying to avoid an induction because I knew the increased changes of a c-section, but my blood pressure was sky high a few days before my due date, and my options were:
Induce labor so we can try to get the baby out ... even though I wasn't the best candidate for an induction at that timeRisk having a stroke from the high blood pressure ... and of cour…