Skip to main content

Let's go streaking!

If you go to Weight Watchers meetings, you know that from now through New Year’s, they’re focused on helping members get through the holidays. No doubt, this time of year is difficult for people trying to stay healthy and make good choices – food temptation lurks around every corner, and Mother Nature makes it hard to stay active and motivated. 

Starting my 2013 streak at the YMCA Turkey Trot - same plan this year!
At my meeting Friday, our leader asked if we had any goals for the holidays – lose weight, maintain, make a healthy meal for your family gathering, etc. I hadn’t thought about it much, but I decided I’m doing the Runner’s World Run Streak again. Last year, I didn’t take time to write a follow-up post, but I know the streak really helped me stay on track

So I’m bringing the streak back – and I’ll hope you’ll join me! Here’s why:

“It took the focus off food,” I told the other members at my meeting. I hadn’t said the words out loud before, but that’s EXACTLY why I loved the streak so much. No, I didn’t just eat anything and everything and let myself off the hook for the whole month. But I did feel a lot less guilty when I threw back some cookies, cocoa and crab dip. I didn’t really lose any weight – but I didn’t gain either! Every day, it’s like I was hitting a reset button. A quick mile (or more) in the morning would set the tone for my entire day, and it gave me incentive to make better choices – not perfect, but better. 

The Christmas before, I went in feeling like I had to stick to a serious plan in order to stay on track through the holidays. I wasn’t working out much, (OK, I wasn’t working out at all!), so nutrition was the only thing I could use to keep myself in check. And I felt deprived. I felt like I couldn’t enjoy things like everyone else. As much as I hate to admit it, the holidays just aren’t as much fun without some (not all!) of my favorite foods. 

Managed a few long runs while streaking.
With the streak, I put my focus on fitness, not food. Instead of feeling like I was being restricted or limited, I was giving myself something extra to enjoy. It was a challenge that was fun and exciting rather than controlling and miserable. And yes, I’ll admit that I felt a little badass for running in the snow and cold. Hey, at least in December all of the Christmas lights were out to enjoy! Come January and February, the outdoors isn’t nearly as enjoyable for running. But I digress. 

This year, I’m hoping to get more streakers going with me! The challenge is free, and you don’t even have to sign up or log into anything. You can, however, follow Runner’s World and the official social media hashtag #RWRunStreak for inspiration, motivation and accountability. That last part is a BIG help – my friend Chelsea and I kept each other accountable last year by messaging each other our mileage every single day! (Thanks again, Chelsea!)

Mother Nature's natural mascara!
Since I created my blog’s Facebook page, it will be easy to post some accountability for anyone who’d like to join me. If you’re up to it, I’ll post a thread every day – from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day – for people to comment with their mileage or workout. I say workout because I think it’s totally acceptable to walk, run, bike, swim, elliptical, Zumba, WHATEVER YOU’D LIKE. My mother-in-law biked a mile a day last year and kept her streak alive well after the holidays! In my opinion, ANY activity is a step in the right direction, especially at this time of year. Personally, I may trade in a few of my miles for a Piyo workout so I can continue to work on my strength goals. 

So, do you want to get a head start on that New Year’s resolution? Do you want feel proud of yourself after the holidays – instead of disappointed? Are you up for a fun challenge? 


All right, let’s go streaking! Make a plan now for logging your daily activity, and make sure you like and follow the Tales of Tami Facebook page. I’ll start posting on Thanksgiving Day. Here’s to a healthy, happy holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…