Skip to main content

Tales of training: I'm back in the game

I stopped doing my weekly training updates after I finished my first half-marathon, but I'm back in the game. Not only am I actually training with a legit training plan, but I'm also on a kick with tracking everything lately (more on that later in the week). 

So even though I'm already on week 4 of the TLAM Half-Marathon Own It plan, I'm going to start back with (hopefully) weekly updates. I'm thinking they will keep me motivated on track, and I'm hoping they will help me keep some regular content on the blog (which isn't always easy). 

Without further ado, here's a look at my week of training: 

Monday: 5 miles, including 4x4 min. intervals
Mother Nature was a fickle beast this week, so I decided to get my hardest workout out of the way before the weather would forbid it. Even though my legs were sore, I'm still happy with this decision. 

Tuesday: 3 miles 
I was supposed to tack on some sprints at the end, but I was running on too little sleep.Plus, I had Rowdy with me and didn't know if he could keep up at a fast pace. Good enough, I decided. 

Wednesday: 5 miles, mid-3 at tempo
I'm still trying to figure out what tempo pace really is for me, but I felt like this was a good effort. By the end of the fourth mile, I was definitely ready for that cool-down mile, so I think that's a good sign. 

Thursday: PiYo Core
The training plan called for a rest day, but I surprisingly missed my yoga mat. I chose the core workout because I knew it would be easier on my legs and lungs. 

Friday: 3 miles
Brrr! I used to think my cutoff for running outside was when the weather dropped below zero ... But maybe I need to re-think running when it's only 3 degrees outside. Oh well - got it done! 

Say, "Snot-cicles!" (From my Instagram)
Saturday: 10 miles
I was religiously monitoring the hourly forecast Friday, and I knew that I needed to be up and running with the sun to avoid 20-mph winds. I set out the door just before 8 a.m. and decided to do some laps around town to avoid gusts in the country. The first 5 miles weren't so bad ... but by mile 8 the winds had picked up and I was questioning my sanity. Anyone local can attest to the sudden shift in the weather - it was worse than anyone expected. By lunch time, we were under a Level 3 snow emergency, which means only necessary personnel should be driving on the road. Crazy! Today, the road conditions are fine, but the temps dropped as low as -17 with the wind chill. Suddenly, my 3-degree run doesn't seem so bad ...

Looking ahead: Next week's mid-week runs don't look bad on paper, but the weather forecast is too turbulent to make any judgement calls on scheduling. And I'm definitely a little intimidated by my prescribed long run: 13 miles with a strong finish ... I'm hoping I just finish without my snot freezing to my face again. 


Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 

Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…