Skip to main content

Tales of Training - Roller Coaster Week

This week was up and down ... with the weather and my training. But sub-zero temps and fender-benders be damned! Because in the end, I logged all the miles I was supposed to. So, take THAT!

Sunday: Rest
In addition to grocery shopping with Kenlee, I managed to squeeze in some time with the foam roller. Can I count that as active recovery?

Monday: 3 miles + 8 strides
Heading into the week, I knew it was gonna be cold. Like, really cold. Monday morning, my weather app said it was 5 degrees outside ... and I sorta tried to ignore the part where it said negative 11 with the wind chill ... Since I only had 3ish miles to run, I decided to tough it out and put on nearly every layer I owned. This picture (taken after I had warmed up a bit on the back porch) says it all:

Tuesday: 6 miles, negative splits
After Monday's cruel lesson from Mother Nature, on Tuesday I decided to hit up the treadmill before work. The plan called for me to run 2-mile negative splits i.e., run faster every 2 miles, but I actually bumped it up every 1 mile (or half mile toward the end) to just be done.

Wednesday: 3.75 miles, mid-2 at tempo
The plan called for 4 miles, but I cut the cool-down short because I didn't want to make Kyle late to work. I felt good, and Rowdy bumped up his distance PR - his previous record was 3 miles. He's been really excited to come run with me lately ... which might have something to do with the treats he gets when we get home. But I'll take what I can get.

Thursday: PiYo Hardcore on the Floor
I realize the title of this workout is slightly perverted, but it's no joke. I struggled with the push-ups at the end and had to take a break. Just means there's room for improvement, right?

Friday: Rest
I had every intention of squeezing in an extra PiYo this week, but honestly? I just wanted some extra time to shave my legs. All the ladies out there understand, I'm sure.

Saturday: 14 miles
This run was a mental effing roller coaster. Let me set the stage: Because this would be my farthest run EVER, Kyle told me to pick a route and he would come pick me up at the end. I liked this idea because it meant I could run from our house to the fairgrounds in another town, and I would feel all badass knowing I could run a route I have driven countless times before. Get what I mean?

Well for the first 6 miles or so, I struggled with my Camelbak. Even though the sun was shining, it was only 5 degrees or so when I left, so the water kept freezing in the tube! Normally, I sip once per mile to keep things moving, and that usually prevents any ice. Apparently, I needed to sip A LOT more often in these conditions ... I had to stop at least three times to remove the mouthpiece, warm it up in my hands, and then suck all the ice from the tubing. I nearly cried in frustration and thought about turning back around or calling Kyle to bring a different pack. But I'm glad I pushed through ...

The training plan said I was supposed to run my mid-5 miles at race pace, and I NAILED it. Every mile but one was sub-9 minutes (and that one was 9:02). It was just the pick-me-up I needed to forget my ice issues, which subsided as the sun came out and the temperature rose. When I hit mile 10, I stopped for a Gu and stood happily in the sunshine for a bit. I felt UNSTOPPABLE.

The next 4 miles went surprisingly well! To be honest, I thought I would be hurting a lot more after hitting the faster paces. By the time I reached the north entrance of the fairgrounds (the bridge entrance for locals), I was planning my victory pose: Kyle would take a picture of me holding up a 1 and a 4 with my fingers, and I would be grinning with pride.

Instead, just as I was heading to do my victory lap around the track, Kyle waved me down and said he'd been in a fender-bender. WHA???!! He assured me everyone was FINE and sent me off to finish my run. The fairgrounds was unexpectedly PACKED with cars though, so I barely made it through to hit 14 miles on the dot. Apparently, there was a garage sale that morning, so Kyle was looking for a parking spot when a truck that was stuck in the snow suddenly got traction ... and backed right into Kyle's SUV.

Being the selfish, youngest child runner that I am, my first thought was, "That jerk in the truck just ruined my run!" But in reality, I know that accidents happen. And I am truly grateful that we just have to deal with some minor dents and dings. Thankfully, Kyle came prepared with a protein shake and blankets for me, so I was mostly content to wait for the deputy to arrive and write up a report.

In the end, we decided to be positive and make the most of a strange situation. So Kyle was happy to snap a picture of my victory pose.


Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 

Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?

Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…