Skip to main content

Tales of Training: Warming Up

After all my whining about winter running, it appears we're finally getting a bit of a reprieve! (Because you know, Mother Nature heard me complain and decided to grant me that personal favor ... it's not like anyone else had to deal with the cold, right?) We still had a few cold days last week, but I was rewarded with temps in the 30s (squee!) and sunshine for my long run on the weekend. Coming up this week, we're looking at 50+ degrees! ::Throws confetti and melting snowballs::

In terms of training, I believe last week is what coaches would call a cutback week. I obviously wasn't slacking by any means, but my mileage and intensity was toned back a bit to let my body recover and prepare for the next challenge. 


Monday: 3 miles, easy

Honestly, I was so tired I don’t remember anything about this run … Is that sad? I know it was still cold though …

Tuesday: Piyo Sweat
Felt great to get a decent strength/cross training workout under my belt again. I went for Sweat because that’s what I wanted to do! Mission accomplished.

Wednesday: 6.39 miles – mid-4 at tempo
Here’s the run in English: I ran 1 mile as a warm-up, then ran 4 miles at tempo, which means about 75 percent of my max effort. In between each tempo mile, I slowed down and recovered for a quarter mile. I was supposed to do a 1 mile cool down, but I cut it short since I was close to home.

Thursday: 5 miles, hill workout
We had one last (hopefully!) cold blast Thursday and Friday, so I went to the treadmill for this one. I ran a 10-minute warm-up, then I did six rounds of 2 minutes faster pace at a 5-10 percent incline, with 2 minutes of recovery between. Then 10ish more minutes of cool down. It was tough, but I hung in there!

Friday: Rest
My body just needed it. (Note to self: Don't schedule tempo and hills back-to-back again ...)

Saturday: Rest
I would call this active rest since I spent the day on the go. Kenlee and I picked up the house in the morning, then we went to the hair salon. After our appointment, we hit up McDonald’s for lunch, then stopped into Walmart for a baby shower gift. Sunday was just as busy …

Lady Date! In case you're wondering, McDonald's Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad + Dressing + Fruit & Yogurt Parfait = 15 points. Really hits the spot for me!

Sunday: 10 miles
I dropped Kenlee off with my in-laws around 9 a.m. and took off for 6ish miles alone. Then I picked up Rowdy for the last 4 miles … and realized he would need a bath after running through all the melting puddles of ice/snow. After cleaning him, then me, I picked up Kenlee and quickly made us both lunch before heading to my parents’ house, where we got to spend the afternoon playing with my nieces, nephew and siblings. I was completely WIPED when we got home. Thank God for compression socks and carry-out pizza!

Looking ahead: I’m soooo excited to be running in warmer temperatures again! I’m a little worried about finding time for my long run this weekend, as we have two parties to attend and Kyle is picking up an extra shift at his part-time job … But I know we’ll make it work. We always do!

Comments

  1. Yay for warm weather! I took Denali for a walk on Saturday just to get some sun. He rewarded me with a shake-a-shaka that left mud everywhere. His bath had to wait till Sunday, though, because I cannot coerce his 80-pound behind into the tub.

    You are doing great, though. #proudmama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, Kyle has been working with Rowdy to get him to tolerate baths more, so he gets in and out of the tub himself (with some coercing, but he still manages). The tricky part is getting him to STAY in the tub while I'm still washing him!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…