Skip to main content

Non-Scale Victories

At Weight Watchers, we obviously celebrate victory on the scale, but we also celebrate non-scale victories (or NSVs) - moments when you realize your healthy habits have made a difference. A few weeks ago, I proudly shared one of my own NSVs: After more than a year of wearing a cheap replacement band, I finally got my wedding rings re-sized.

For me, this was a HUGE step. I'd gotten very comfortable with the cheapie ring because I knew if I started gaining the weight back, I could wear my bigger rings again ... That sounds awful doesn't it? But it's true. 

Well, it's been about a year since I hit my goal weight, so I decided I finally "deserved" to have my bling back. Maintaining my weight has been just as hard as losing it (a post for another day, I think), but at this point, I feel like I've proven to myself that I can do it for the long haul. Sure, I could still gain it all back one day - THIS IS ALWAYS IN THE BACK OF MY MIND. 

But today, I'm healthy and fit, and I'm happy with my body. Why not enjoy it and wear the jewelry I love?! 

This NSV got me thinking about others I've celebrated along my journey. Each of these moments was probably even more significant to me than any victory I had on the scale. 
  • First time I could buy a shirt without numbers or an X in the size
  • First time I tried on (and fit!) a pair of pants with a single-digit size (This usually only happens at Gap due to vanity sizing … I’m a solid 10 elsewhere, but I don't care!)
  • When I realized a pair of dress shoes from a few years ago were too big because even my feet had shrunk
  • When I could ride a roller coaster at Cedar Point without struggling to get the harness latched (or getting kicked out of line before I could even try … Yes, this happened to me on the Millennium Force once)
  • The first time I sat in an airplane without my thighs squishing into the arm rest and involuntarily touching the person next to me … I'm friendly, but not that friendly …
  • When I hauled in all the groceries from the garage and realized I didn’t need to take a break before putting them away
  • The first time I ran an entire 5K race – for me, this ranks above finishing my first half-marathon because it was so much harder (mentally and physically) at the time!
  • When I realized I no longer struggled with what I thought were chronic knee problems
  • When a nurse tried to use the large blood pressure cuff on me and realized it was too big
  • When I realized I could actually cross my legs like a lady again!
  • When I realized my glasses were constantly falling off my face because my face had gotten smaller (I hope to finally get new frames this summer)
  • Any time my daughter has asked me for a healthy snack or meal 
  • Any time my daughter has yelled "Go momma go!" from the stroller or the sidelines of a race
  • Any time I've realized I was being active with my family, and I wasn't holding myself back because of my weight or anxiety
So if you're trying to lose weight, remember to celebrate the victories on and off the scale. The tiny steps you're taking now will lead to more tiny, yet POWERFUL, moments down the road. Trust me. 

Comments

  1. Awe congratulations! Non scale victories can be just as sweet I think. I continue to always be amazed when I can be active for a steady period of time and not be breathless compared to those around me. Always thinking in the back of my head, thank you running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Those victorious are even sweeter, I think, bc they're tangible. I remember when I got my rings resized and when I bought pants in a size I had never seen before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Those victorious are even sweeter, I think, bc they're tangible. I remember when I got my rings resized and when I bought pants in a size I had never seen before!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…

I'm a Marathoner! Recap of the Akron Marathon

WARNING: This post is nearly as long as my marathon. It's taken me nearly a month to put together, and it's probably too long and rambling at parts, but I don't care. You're about to read more than a race recap. You're about to read my memories of one of the hardest, craziest and most incredible days of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Love,
Tami

Part 1: The hills are alive If you were looking at elevation maps (hills) for a marathon course, which of the two below would you rather run?



Yeah ... That's a trick question – they’re for the same race ... my race! They’re just scaled differently, which is REALLY hard to see unless you’re some sort of map guru (which I am not). 
So when I saw the first map back in December last year, I didn’t think the course for the Akron Marathon looked so bad. Yes, it would have hills, but I thought they seemed comparable to the hills I run out in the country. 
Fast forward 10 months to when I saw the second chart … an…