Skip to main content

Dear Husband - Before You Run Your First Half Marathon

Dear husband,

Before you head out to run your first half-marathon, I'd like to tell you a few things. First of all: DO NOT GO OUT TOO FAST. (I know I've already said this 20 times in the last week, but it's worth repeating ... I just want you to learn from my mistakes, OK? Also: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.)

Second, no matter how the race goes this weekend, I AM SOOOO FRICKIN' PROUD OF YOU. (Yes, the frickin' is necessary.) For I-don't-know-how-many weeks, you've been training for this and you've never once given up. Sure, not every run was perfect, but you ran anyway. You've done the work; you've taken the challenge. YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT. This race is just your victory lap.

Kyle and Kenlee after a stroller training run - LOVE!
I'll be honest, just a few years ago, I could have never imagined I could run a half marathon ... let alone that YOU can run a half marathon. (I know you won't hate me for that statement because we both know it's true... smooches!) You say I've inspired you ... but you've inspired me even more, I promise. As we've gone on this journey together, I've come to realize we BOTH have more strength and potential than we could ever know. It's been an honor to watch your incredible transformation.

So, remember how blown away you felt after my first half? How you kept saying, "Holy cow, I can't believe you just ran 13.1 miles?!" Take that feeling and multiply it by about a thousand. That's how I'll feel when I see you cross the finish line Sunday. (Plus, add a few tears ... we all know I'm a cryer.) Now, take the hunger you felt after running 12 miles last weekend, and multiple it by about 100. All those endorphins will burn some extra calories, and you'll never be so happy to see chicken wing in your life. :)

Not gonna lie, it's been nice having another runner in the house. You finally understand why I spend so much money on shoes, and you no longer roll your eyes when I suggest going to Under Armour just to see what they have. I'll also never forget our first family run a few weeks ago ... even though we didn't stick together, we were still out there being active, showing our daughter exactly what it means to work hard for all your dreams.

To wrap this up ... as you head out for your first half marathon, don't focus on the finish line - instead, focus on all the work you've done to get to the starting line. That's all that matters.

We love you. You've got this.

Love,
Tami

P.S. Don't go out too fast. Don't go out too fast. DO NOT GO OUT TOO FAST! And hydrate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Disney World DVC rental: How we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a FRACTION of the normal price

As you may recall, I spent approximately 18 months planning and saving for my family’s first trip to Disney World. We stayed Nov. 15-21, 2015, and I have to say every bit of research and budgeting paid off – big time. And, I can’t wait to share everything I learned.
But before I dive into any tips or tricks, I want to set the stage with the “stage” of our vacation: our resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge. This place is so incredible, it’s hard to describe. From the sights (animals grazing on the savanna), to the sounds (genuine African drummers), to the tastes (Indian and African dishes) and the smells (OMG I asked if they sold incense so we could take the scent home!!), every detail added to an immersive, amazing experience. 

Now, you may be wondering how we decided to stay here. I wish I could say we chose it after a lengthy comparison of features and costs … but really, we just got one hell of a deal. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a sucker for a good discount or clearance sale. And I fou…