Skip to main content

Freezer Meal: Curried Pork Loin with Sweet Plantains

Before I write about this recipeI need to disclose a few things:
  1. I did not know what a plantain was before the freezer meal party ... I honestly thought they were something like a tamale ... don't judge! So obviously I never tried one before ... 
  2. I'm not a fan of pork loin in general - yes, I've tried it several ways, but none of them really excite me
  3. The recipe recommends that you serve the dish over rice, but I didn't see that beforehand - instead, I cleaned out some leftovers in the fridge and served it with mashed potatoes and broccoli
So, let's say that you actually had tried plantains before, liked pork loin and served this dish with rice: Then I bet you'd like it a lot better than I did. I'm definitely NOT saying this dish was bad, but it's just not something that suited my taste buds. My husband really liked the pork loin's flavor, but he wasn't digging the plantains. I, on the other hand, actually liked the plantains better than the pork loin, but wasn't crazy about either.

I hope you'll try it for yourself and see! This could be a really unique dish in your rotation - defintiely not your run-of-the-mill freezer meal. 


Curried Pork Loin with Sweet Plantains - 6 servings, 13 points/serving (not including rice)

Ingredients
  • 2-lb pork loin
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. each, salt and peper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 3 yellow/black plantains
  • 1 bag frozen chopped onion
  • 2 14.5-oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
Prep Directions
  • Place pork loin in freezer bag; place all spices in small ziploc bag, then add to pork bag and seal
  • In a separate large freezer bag, add onions, fire roasted tomatoes and chopped plantains and cilantro
  • Squeeze lime juice into small ziploc bag and add to veggie bag; seal 
  • Free both bags
Cooking Directions
  • Thaw ingredients completely
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees; place pork in center of a large baking dish and rub spice mixture all over it
  • Spread plantain/veggie mixture around the pork loin; reserve lime juice for serving
  • Bake for about 30 minutes or until pork reaches internal temperature of 145 degrees; remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving
  • Serve over rice; Drizzle with lime juice just before serving

This is the seventh of eight freezer meal recipes I'm sharing after attending a party sponsored by my local Farm Bureau. Recipe credit goes to Michelle Rudolphi -  check out her LivingIt Facebook page for more information or if you have any questions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Snippets from the Second Trimester

It's a Boy! 
We've been girl parents for five years, so it took some time to get used to the idea of having a boy. The first thing we did was pick a name - we'd already settled on a girl's name, but were still throwing around ideas for a boy when we went to the ultrasound.

Once we knew it, we KNEW it. His name will be Archer Wilden. Yes, you can feel free to call him Archie. And Wilden is a combination of William and Dennis - our dads' names. <3


VBAC
My goal for this delivery is to have what's called a VBAC - vaginal birth after a cesarean. With Kenlee, I NEEDED a c-section because my induction failed. I was trying to avoid an induction because I knew the increased changes of a c-section, but my blood pressure was sky high a few days before my due date, and my options were:
Induce labor so we can try to get the baby out ... even though I wasn't the best candidate for an induction at that timeRisk having a stroke from the high blood pressure ... and of cour…