Skip to main content

FAQs from the First Trimester

I hate when bloggers make excuses for not blogging. Who cares?! It's your blog, you should do what you want, right?

Well, in this case, I feel like my excuse is cause for note. I've been too exhausted to write (beyond what I get paid to write at my job ... and even that effort has been questionable as I fight to stay awake at my desk). Why? Because I'm growing a freaking human! I'm pregnant. :)

Yes, baby No. 2 is due Oct. 31 - yes, Halloween! Since we spilled the beans, I've found myself answering a lot of the same questions. So I figured I'd just answer them here.

And then there were four ...

So ... you’re still running?
Yep! I’m seeing a practice of two doctors and two midwives who all believe in staying active as long as possible through pregnancy. They simply said, “Don’t become something you’re not.” Since I’m already a runner, I’ll keep running. But, since I’m not a body builder, I’m not going to start body building. Works for me!

How long can you keep running?
Like I said above, I’m encouraged to stay active as long as possible ... that could be the day I give birth! They said my body will tell me if/when I need to slow down/cut back/stop running. We'll see how it goes.

Are you still running the Indy Mini?
Of course! I’m just not going to run it as fast as I’d planned. When I started training, I was on a pretty aggressive plan though the Train Like a Mother Club (which is awesome, by the way). And I thought I could keep going … but at 8 weeks pregnant, the wheels fell off the bus and I couldn’t do the workouts. I’ve been doing my own modified version of the plan, taking out the speed work and cutting back on the long runs (just listening to my body, really). My ONLY goal for the race is to hit the $2,000 mark in my #Run4Bronson, which you can still donate to if you haven’t already!

Do you have any other races planned?
I’d like to run a local half marathon in June (just because I can't resist a starting line that's only 20 minutes from home), but I’m not sure if it will fit in my schedule/budget with other family stuff planned this summer. Other than that, I’ll do some local 5Ks and just see how it goes. One personal goal/motivation is to complete one of the races at Fort4Fitness, when I’ll be about 36 weeks pregnant. I might run the 10K, or I might walk the 4-miler. I’ll be happy to just keep moving.

How are you feeling? Any morning sickness?
It depends on the day … or the hour. I haven’t actually vomited (yet), but I’ve felt crappy on and off. Around 8 weeks, I felt like I had been hit by a truck (see above wheels falling off the bus reference …). I was exhausted and nauseous pretty much all the time. Things are improving though!

Did you get sick with Kenlee?
To be honest, I don’t remember. She’s going to be 5 in May, so it’s been quite a while since I was pregnant. The other thing to keep in mind is that I was more than 100 pounds heavier when I started that pregnancy, so my body (and its reactions) will likely be different this time around.

Is Kenlee excited?
Excited is an understatement – she is over the moon! She talks about being a big sister ALL THE TIME and asks a thousand questions about the baby. She loves to rub and kiss my belly, talk and sing to the baby, and even try to tickle it (she doesn’t quite understand that she’s only tickling me!).

Can you still do Weight Watchers?
No. I had to cancel my membership for now, but I can start back up again when I’m not pregnant. I’ve tried to keep my same healthy habits, but sometimes I’m repulsed by the foods I would normally enjoy … And yes, I know gaining weight is normal (thanks for the reminder ...). It's hard/weird to accept my body changing, but I'm doing my best to accept it. 

Will you find out if you’re having a boy or girl?
YES! There’s just NO WAY we could wait till birth. We plan to bring Kenlee to our big ultrasound in June, so we can all find out together. We'll let you know when we know! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth the Wait: Archer's Birth Story

Archer Wilden Brigle Nov. 11, 2016 7 lbs., 10 oz. 21 inches long
Archer's delivery only lasted a few (intense) minutes, but the tumultuous story of his arrival started several weeks prior. My pregnancy lasted FOREVER (or at least it felt that way) and, even though I knew he could be late, I was on pins and needles looking for ANY signs of labor as each day passed by. 
Oct. 31 - 40 weeks  Despite my best efforts to kickstart labor over the weekend, I was still pregnant on my due date -Halloween. This was good news for Kenlee because even though we had already participated in our local trick or treat on Saturday, I was willing to go out walking again so she could trick or treat a second time with her cousins (who live in another town). 


Nov. 2  My 40-week appointment was on a Wednesday afternoon. I was nervous/excited because I decided I would finally get my cervix checked and see what kind of progress I was making. Even though I'd had no other signs of labor at this point, I hop…

Dear Archer

Dear Archer,

It's almost time to meet you, so I thought I'd let you know a bit about the world you're about to enter. It might be warm in cozy in my belly right now, but trust me, you're going to want to come join us on the outside.

First of all, I think your daddy and I are pretty decent parents. You have your sister to thank for that ... we spent that last five and a half years with her as our crash-test dummy, trying to figure out what the heck we were supposed to be doing. We technically still have no idea if we're doing this parenting thing right, but since she turned out pretty awesome (and with just one broken bone so far), we're confident we haven't screwed it up too badly.

To be honest, your daddy and I weren't sure if Kenlee was going to be an only child ... But that's not to say you weren't wanted! Every time the subject would come up, we always knew we just weren't "done" yet. We always felt like someone was missing fro…

Snippets from the Second Trimester

It's a Boy! 
We've been girl parents for five years, so it took some time to get used to the idea of having a boy. The first thing we did was pick a name - we'd already settled on a girl's name, but were still throwing around ideas for a boy when we went to the ultrasound.

Once we knew it, we KNEW it. His name will be Archer Wilden. Yes, you can feel free to call him Archie. And Wilden is a combination of William and Dennis - our dads' names. <3


VBAC
My goal for this delivery is to have what's called a VBAC - vaginal birth after a cesarean. With Kenlee, I NEEDED a c-section because my induction failed. I was trying to avoid an induction because I knew the increased changes of a c-section, but my blood pressure was sky high a few days before my due date, and my options were:
Induce labor so we can try to get the baby out ... even though I wasn't the best candidate for an induction at that timeRisk having a stroke from the high blood pressure ... and of cour…